GPS’ Top 5 Tunes Of August 2013
5. Carretta, Workerpoor & Louisahhh – Peel [Download] First off we have this awesome collab between Caretta, Workerpoor and Louisahhh. A bouncing techno tune, “Peel” combines everything I love about a solid techno track: infectiously repetitious and a bassline that has a certain rawness to it. As a perfect bonus, the vocals that Louisahhh lays down go hand-in-hand perfectly with the track.
4. Andy’s iLL – Disco Bullets [Download] Andy has been making and reworking this track for well over a year now, and has finally decided to call it a finished product, releasing “Disco Bullets” as a free download. Quite possibly his heaviest, most-energetic track yet, the massive choruses are sandwiched between smooth breakdowns that contrast greatly in energy, yet are tied together nicely with the heavy builds.
3. Rob De Large – As The Poem Goes [Download] Rob has been hard at work since we last spoke with him. “As The Poem Goes” has possibly one of the spookiest intros you’ve heard this year. The lyrics in the intro speak of some great evil. If anything, it properly acts as a premise to the crazy, downtempo techno that slams you in the face shortly after. If you liked Gesaffelstein’s “Pursuit,” then you’ll love “As The Poem Goes.”
2. Surkin – Lose Yourself (feat. Ann Saunderson) [Beatport | iTunes] On the flip side of the previous three, the number two song of this month is from Surkin’s debut album USA, which came out almost two years ago. “Lose Yourself (feat. Ann Saunderson)” brings together musical elements that can take you back in time. Featuring heavy broken beats, smooth vocals and a rhythm that is nothing short of amazing, this is a song you truly want to lose yourself to.
1. A Tribe Called Quest ft Faith Evans – Stressed Out (Tchami Remix) [Download] Upon first hearing his music, Tchami immediately became one of my favorite producers of 2013. After hearing this tune on his live mix from his set at Social Club (Paris), I could not wait for this to come out. Then yesterday, out of nowhere, I found this in my inbox and found that he put it up on his soundcloud as a free download. He took A Tribe Called Quest’s “Stressed Out (feat. Faith Evans)” and gave it a total rework, retaining Faith’s Vocals, adding the vocals from Raphael Saadiq’s remix, as well as adding some of the instrumentation from Björk’s mix. The rest? 100% Tchami and 100% awesome.